OK I am a big girly girl. Like give me some makeup and a cute outfit and I’m a happy girl. I am one of those girls that rarely leaves the house without makeup (though most of the time I feel I rarely leave the house, so take it for what it’s worth). It’s not that I necessarily think I look bad without it, it’s just I prefer wearing makeup. But there is definitely a difference between my everyday makeup and hair and the makeup and hairstyle I wear when I have a special occasion to dress up for. I tend to go darker and more dramatic with a bit more color when I have an event worth dressing up for.
The thing is, some people seem to think that in order to look your best, you have to buy the most expensive beauty products available on the market. But seriously, you don’t have to. I, for one, do not have exorbitant amounts of money to spend on high end makeup and hair products. I am always willing to head to my local drug store, like Walgreens, to pick up my beauty products.
My engagement photos definitely deserved special occasion makeup and hair!
Starting in high school I’ve actually been doing people’s hair for events like prom and weddings, so I’ve learned a few things over the years. So I’m going to share with you a few of my tips to help you achieve hair worth going out with. I don’t have any specific styles for you, but there’s thankfully been a big trend of fabulous hair style tutorials being posted all over the web. I may even start a Pinterest board of them.
- Hair is easier to style when it’s dirty. Not like I-haven’t-bathed-in-a-week-dirty; more like I-washed-my-hair-yesterday-but-still-bathed-today-dirty. I’ve found my hair curls and straightens (I have that not-so-awesome in between hair) much easier when I haven’t washed it that day.
- Change things up a little bit. If you notice in my engagement picture my part is diagonal. Normally it’s just straight back on one side. Making that simple change fancied up my hair a bit. I also normally have straight hair or a ponytail everyday, not curly. If you normally wear it down, try a fancy updo. Trust me, it makes a difference.
- You don’t need an uber expensive curling iron. There are lots of curling irons on the market today that work great. Conair makes the Infinity Curling Wand that heats up in 30 seconds and creates curls with no kinks. I’ve had my Conair for years and it still works great!
- Bobby pins are your best friend. I use bobby pins for almost every nice hairstyle, even my free flowing curls. When I want to just have curls, I take a section of hair, curl it with the curling iron, let go, then wrap the curl around my fingers and pin it together with a bobby pin. Then I leave the curls in their bobby pins until I’m almost ready to leave, giving the hair plenty of time to cool down.
- There is nothing wrong with some hair spray. I always finish a nice hairstyle off with hair spray. Now, depending on what hair style I have determines the type of spray. I like using a more flexible spray for my curls, whereas if I have an updo that I don’t want going anywhere, I like to use a firmer spray.
So how to you like to get all dolled up? What are you favorite special occasion makeup tips? Anything you’d add to the hair tips?