Frog Eye Salad is a delicious and special side dish for every family get together, parties or holidays. It is popular for its unique taste, easy-to-make recipe, and healthy ingredients. The reason why it is called Frog Eye Salad is that Acini De Pepe, a small eye-looking pasta, is used as a main ingredient. Below is the recipe for making this tasty fruit salad that everyone loves.
Recipe type: Salad, dessert, side dish
Preparation time: 22 minutes
Cooking time: 13 minutes
Total time: 6 hours 35 minutes
- 2/3 cup of pineapple juice (extracted from the pineapple tidbits)
- 1 tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 ½ cups of miniature colored marshmallows
- 2 (20 ounces) cans of drained pineapple tidbits
- 1 (22 ounces) can of drained pineapple chunks
- 2 (15 ounces) cans of drained mandarin oranges
- 1 cup (16 ounces) of Acini De Pepe pasta or Pastina pasta
- 1 (10 ounces) carton of non-dairy frozen whipped topping
- 2 well beaten eggs
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of coconut sugar or white sugar
- Maraschino cherries (optional)
- ¾ cup of shredded coconut for garnish (optional)
Step 1– Prepare a pot of water for boiling. According to the package instructions, cook the Acini De Pepe pasta until al dente. When finished, rinse under cold water, drain, and put aside to let cool.
Step 2– Carefully drain pineapple tidbits and mandarin oranges. Save the juice for later use.
Step 3– Prepare a food blender. Put ½ of prepared pineapple chunks into it and blend until nearly smooth. Use strainer to separate any excess juice.
Step 4– Get a bowl. Put the remaining pineapple chunks, mandarin oranges, and blended pineapple (from step 3) into it and put aside for later use.
Step 5– In a medium saucepan, combine 2/3 cup of pineapple juice, ½ teaspoon of salt, white sugar, flour and beaten eggs. Whisk and cook constantly over medium heat until thickened but smooth (creamy). For the perfect result, use a thermometer to ensure the temperature reaches 170 degrees. Put the sauce away from heat and mix it with lemon juice. Let it cool completely and normally to room temperature.
Step 6– When everything is assembled and cooled, get a large bowl, put pasta into it and gently mix with thickened egg mixture (from step 5), crushed pineapple, mandarin oranges, pineapple tidbits, coconut, and small colored marshmallow. Fold in cool whipped topping and top with maraschino cherries (optional). Cover the bowl and put it in the freezer for at least 6 hours or chill it overnight.
Step 7– When the bowl is well chilled. Take out, toss, and serve at once. The salad has good taste now.
- Pineapple- one of the world’s healthiest foods: Contain a lot of protein-digesting enzyme called bromelain. It helps boost your digestion, which can prevent various health problems such as allergies, headaches, tiredness, or muscle weakness. Moreover, pineapple is a rich source of vitamin C, which helps protect your cells from being damaged by dangerous free radicals, increase your antioxidant defenses, and improve the quality of your skin.
- Pasta: Provide protein, an essential macronutrient that helps repair cells and tissue, strengthen hair, skin, nail, and rebuilds muscle. Additionally, it supplies your body with iron, which is necessary for oxygen transportation to the muscles and other parts of the body. This results in improving functional capacity, boosting the immune system, and increasing the neurotransmitter production in the brain.
- Egg: There are numerous benefits coming from eating eggs such as improving heart health, helping in weight loss, or aiding in growth and development of the body. What’s more, eggs are full of important vitamins that are essential to your health like vitamin B12 (producing red blood cells), vitamin B2 (transforming food into energy), vitamin E (preventing tissue and cellular damage), and vitamin A (boosting eyesight).